15.11.13

PLEASE LOOK UP FROM THAT PHONE!!!! | IT'S A NEW DAY | NOV 15

I would be completely lying if I said I didn't like Technology. I do and I am sure you do as well. Technology has added luxury and has absolutely brought benefit to our lives. 

Being an information, constantly wanting to learn kind of gal, I love the fact that access to any information I desire is right at my fingertips.  Conversely, I do feel that there is also a downside or side effects of Technology one of them being that it is curbing our capability to pay attention and that we are losing our human connection. So many people have been killed or seriously injured because they were walking across the street mindlessly like a zombie texting and were hit by a car.

This pic was part of an article I saw this morning.

Does this picture look familiar to you? Can you relate?
The article went on to say that the worst part is - that they are probably texting the people walking in front of them.  How sad is that? I have heard so many times people saying that they text their family members that are in the next room of their house. It is like our lips are painted on or we have forgotten how to communicate with people unless it is in the form of an email/text. 
Quick story; recently I had a scheduled meeting with a colleague.  Within a minute of our meeting starting and in the middle of me speaking, his phone beeped indicating the receipt of a text. He pulled his phone out of his breast pocket to read his text, chuckled and then responded back.  At this point, I was in utter shock and really could not believe how anyone could be so rude.  He finished his text and I resumed speaking when his phone beeped again. Once again he started reading his text and responding back like I was a mirage.  At this point, I got up and walked out of his office.  He looked up from his phone and yelled out to me, "Wait, where are you going".  I replied, "are you kidding me? My time is valuable and I didn't schedule this meeting to watch you text.  Goodbye."
This stuff just boggles my mind.  This ignorant jerk guy was basically standing in his office scratching his head wondering why I was leaving. Unbelievably, it didn't even occur to him that his behavior was RUDE.
I have often observed two people out for dinner and ignoring each other because they were completely obsessed with their phones. What is the point of going out for dinner with someone just to eat, not interact or engage in conversation and just play with your phone? You may as well be sitting with a complete stranger!
Has our culture forgotten about deportment, manners, etiquette, social graces? Does anyone even have a vague idea of what they are anymore?

Technology is fabulous but we should use it wisely and not when spending quality time with family and friends.

Please look up from that phone ....
Have a great day!

Soulier Design Studio specializes in Sustainability, Eco Friendly Design, Products and Lifestyle http://www.soulierdesignstudio.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. We would really love to hear from you!!